News Summary: HP takes small strides in fiscal 1Q
EARNINGS DOWN, STOCK UP: Hewlett-Packard's latest quarterly results fell from last year, but the deterioration wasn't quite as bad as management and analysts had feared. Investors interpreted Thursday's news as a sign that HP's turnaround strategy is starting to pay off. The company's stock rose 5 percent in extended trading.
RECURRING HEADACHE: As has been the case for the past year, Hewlett-Packard Co.'s personal computer division remained the biggest drag on the company's performance. PC sales have been falling as more spending shifts to smartphones and tablet computers.
STAYING THE COURSE: HP CEO Meg Whitman reiterated the company has no plans to spin off or sell its PC operations.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 75968Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30909Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28067Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24729Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6906Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6904Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6686Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond