News Summary: Markel buying Alterra in $3B deal
THE TRANSACTION: Insurer Markel Corp. is purchasing Alterra Capital Holdings Ltd. for nearly $3 billion in cash and stock in order to diversify its business.
THE DETAILS: Alterra stockholders will receive $10 per share in cash and 0.04315 of a Markel share for each Alterra share held. Markel said that this will give Alterra stockholders $31 per share, a 34 percent premium to the stock's closing price Tuesday.
CLOSING: The acquisition is subject to shareholder approval and is expected to be completed during the first half of next year.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister