News Summary: Unemployment up in 26 states
UNEMPLOYMENT RISES: Unemployment rates rose in 26 states last month, further evidence of the weak job market. Rates fell in 12 and were unchanged in 12.
SWING STATES UP: Unemployment increased in seven of 11 states that could decide this year's presidential election. Michigan's rate jumped to 9.4 percent from 9 percent, the biggest increase. Rates also rose in Nevada, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Hampshire and Iowa
KEY STATES UNCHANGED: Unemployment was flat in three closely contested states rich in electoral votes: Florida, Virginia and Ohio. And rates in five swings states remain below the 8.1 percent national average.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister