News Summary: US banks' profit best in 6 years
BANK PROFITS UP: U.S. banks are enjoying their best profits in six years and are lending a bit more freely. The gradual improvement suggests that the industry will sustain its healing from the worst financial crisis in decades and help strengthen the economy.
CAUTION FROM BIG BANKS: Some of the largest banks are cautioning, though, that their earnings are up mostly because they've sold less-profitable businesses, shed loans and trimmed jobs — not because of a more vibrant economy.
LENDING INCREASE 'MODEST': The chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., Martin Gruenberg, said banks' increase in lending in the July-September quarter was "relatively modest."
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater