News Summary: Visa posts higher fiscal 1Q profit
STRONG QUARTER: Visa's net income jumped 25 percent to $1.3 billion in the last three months of 2012, aided by a tax benefit and growth in the number of transactions processed by the company. Revenue jumped nearly 12 percent to $2.85 billion.
CONSUMER SPENDING: Transactions processed over the Visa network totaled $14.2 billion, an increase of 4 percent from a year earlier. U.S. debit transactions fell 4 percent, but debit and credit card transactions overseas jumped 21 percent.
SPENDING CARRYOVER: Visa noted that U.S. payment volume grew 5 percent through Jan. 28, compared with 3 percent in the October-December period.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort