News Summary: Wall Street rallies on jobs news
GOOD START TO NOVEMBER: The Dow Jones industrial average rose 136 points on the first day of November, its best gain since mid-September. That came after a loss in October, the first down month since May.
CONFIDENT CONSUMERS: The Conference Board said Americans' confidence in the economy surged last month to the highest level in nearly five years. Many were encouraged by an improving job market.
JOBS NEWS: Investors got a twin dose of good news on the jobs market. Claims for unemployment benefits fell last week, and payroll processor ADP reported that private companies added more jobs last month than economists had been expecting.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister