HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Emotionally drained and weary family members of the Newtown shooting victims, thrust into a new role as gun control lobbyists, said they're disappointed but undaunted by the U.S. Senate's rejection Wednesday of an amendment expanding background checks for gun purchases.
Neil Heslin, whose 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis was among the 20 first graders and six educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, said he has spent the past two weeks in Washington, D.C. trying to persuade senators to pass the compromise legislation.
"It's discouraging what happened today, but it's just the beginning and I feel confident in the long run, and I know in the long run, changes will happen," Heslin said during a conference call with Connecticut U.S. Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy. "It's just a start and we're here to stay."
Carlee Soto's older sister Victoria Soto was a teacher slain at Sandy Hook. She described how the families' efforts to lobby the U.S. Senate have been "extremely exhausting" for everyone.
"We've been down here since Sunday night, talking to senators, talking to their staff members, telling our story," she said. "We don't get to grieve in private. We don't get to grieve with our families at home. We're here, grieving in public, trying to show the world that change needs to happen."
Appearing with President Barack Obama, Mark Barden, whose 7-year-old son Daniel was killed during the massacre, acknowledged that the expanded background checks proposal wouldn't have saved Daniel. However, he said the proposal has strong public support and would have ultimately saved lives.
"We return home for now, disappointed but not defeated. We return home with a determination that change will happen. Maybe not today, but soon," he said. "We will keep moving forward."
Many of the same family members had lobbied Connecticut lawmakers earlier this month to pass bipartisan legislation that includes sweeping gun control changes, including a ban on high capacity ammunition magazines and an expanded assault weapons ban.
State officials reacted Wednesday with shock, disappointment and anger to the U.S. Senate's rejection of a background check proposal some said paled in comparison to what Connecticut has enacted.
"Universal background checks? No? I don't get it. I don't get it," said House Minority Leader Lawrence Cafero Jr., a Republican from Norwalk. "And I say that with utmost respect. I just don't understand how you could vote no."
Both Democrats and Republicans in Connecticut had voiced support for federal legislation, often making the argument that whatever laws passed in Connecticut could prove ineffective without tougher federal laws on the books.
Continue reading this story on the...