No. 11 North Carolina women defeat Virginia 71-60
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — Xylina McDaniel scored 15 points with nine rebounds as No. 11 North Carolina cruised past Virginia 71-60 on Thursday night to win its 11th straight game.
The Tar Heels (18-1, 6-0 Atlantic Coast Conference), who came in leading the nation in steals (14.9 per game) had 14 steals and scored 32 points off 24 Cavaliers turnovers.
North Carolina led 23-12 with 11:27 to go in the first half en route to a 42-22 halftime advantage.
The Tar Heels expanded their cushion to 27 with 13:29 left, then Virginia made a 13-2 run to get to 60-44. After going more than 5½ minutes without a field goal, North Carolina pushed the lead to 21 before the Cavaliers closed the final 3:52 with a 10-0 burst.
Waltiea Rolle and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt added 14 points apiece for North Carolina.
Telia McCall and Kelsey Wolfe scored 13 each for Virginia (11-6, 3-3).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims