No. 14 Kansas surges to beat Oklahoma 72-61
NewsOK Related Articles
Kansas shot 50 percent for the game. KU star Thomas Robinson (18 points, nine rebounds) fell just short of adding to his league high 10 double-doubles.
The player who gave the Sooners problems was junior guard Travis Releford. KU's defensive stopper scored a career high 28 points. OU's two leading scorers — Steven Pledger and Andrew Fitzgerald — combined to score just 25 points.
“Offensively, we got a lot of shots we wanted,” said point guard Sam Grooms. “We just didn't make shots. I give (Kansas) credit for what they do but it's more so us. We have to make shots. For the most part these are the same shots we made in non-conference.”
OU's non-conference momentum has been squashed by two nationally ranked teams.
The Sooners (11-4, 0-2) face another challenging week. The first Bedlam showdown is Monday night in Stillwater. OU hosts No. 23 Kansas State Saturday afternoon.
The key might be how the Sooners fare offensively.
“I think (OU) is really good defensively,” Self said. “We got some easy baskets. We didn't shoot the ball great against them if you take away layups. We got some easy baskets which helped a lot, but I think they're good defensively.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes