No. 15 Louisville women defeat Providence 70-62
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Shoni Schimmel and Bria Smith scored 17 points each Saturday to pace No. 15 Louisville to a 70-62 Big East victory over Providence.
Antonita Slaughter added 12 points and Monique Reid 11 for the Cardinals (14-3, 2-1), who shot 64 percent (16 of 25) in the first half.
Tori Rule scored 20 points and Symone Roberts had 13 points and seven assists for the Friars (5-10, 0-2), who were facing a ranked opponent for the first time this season.
Louisville led 58-43 with 6:07 remaining after a layup by Reid, but a steal and layup by Evi Iiskola started a 15-5 run that brought the Friars to within 63-58 at the 1:26 mark.
Two free throws apiece by Schimmel and Smith and a three-point play by Smith secured the lead down the stretch for Louisville, which overcame a season-high 26 turnovers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad