No. 19 Florida State women top No. 14 UNC 80-73
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Leonor Rodriguez scored 22 points and Chelsea Davis had 21 as No. 19 Florida State defeated No. 14 North Carolina 80-73 in Atlantic Coast Conference play Sunday.
It was the first victory for the Seminoles (20-5, 10-4) over a team in the top 15 since Feb. 1, 2010 — when they beat then-No. 13 North Carolina 83-73.
Rodriguez scored five points during a 9-0 run early in the second half that gave the Seminoles a 47-41 lead.
The Tar Heels (23-4, 11-3) got within one, 47-46, after five consecutive points by Xylina McDaniel, but Florida State never lost the lead.
Florida State committed just 13 turnovers. North Carolina's ACC opponents had been averaging 23.5 per game.
Natasha Howard had 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Seminoles, and Alexa Deluzio had 15 points.
McDaniel scored 25 points to pace North Carolina. Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and Waltiea Rolle scored 14 each.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?