No. 19 Missouri men top Oklahoma 84-61
COLUMBIA, Mo. — Another rout at home, fueled by a deep bench, helped Missouri shake off a recent spanking at Kansas.
The 19th-ranked Tigers got 16 points from Michael Dixon and 11 from fellow reserve Justin Safford, improving to 15-0 at home with an 84-61 victory over Oklahoma on Saturday.
NewsOK Related Articles
“Guys coming off the bench, they know what Coach is looking for,” Safford said. “And that's energy.”
Marcus Denmon, Missouri's leading scorer with a 16.5 point average, needed stitches to close a wound just below the right eye after taking an inadvertent elbow from teammate Laurence Bowers under the Oklahoma basket with just under 18 minutes remaining. He did not return, finishing with nine points, but is expected back Tuesday against Texas Tech.
Cameron Clark had 16 points and Tyler Neal had 14 for Oklahoma (12-12, 4-6), which is 1-10 on the road and has a freshman and three sophomores starting. Cade Davis, the Sooners' lone senior and second-leading scorer with a 12.6 average, was scoreless in the first half and finished with five points.
Coach Jeff Capel said players didn't abide by his halftime speech to concentrate on transition defense. Capel called a quick timeout after Missouri scored six points in the first 1 1 / 2 minutes after the break to take a 12-point lead.
“I don't know who that was out there for us in the second half,” Capel said. “That's not taking anything away from Missouri because they took it from us.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18759Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10409Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9339Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7780Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6796UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6582Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister