No. 21 Oklahoma State women defeat Texas 64-52
Oklahoma State defeated depleted Texas 64-52 in a Big 12 game Sunday afternoon at the Erwin Center, despite having its own depth issues.
The Cowgirls (13-2 overall, 2-2 in the Big 12) took control in the second half, hitting 50 percent of their shots in the final 20 minutes. Forward Toni Young scored 19 points and forward Liz Donohue scored 12 of her 15 points in the second half to help the Cowgirls pull away.
OSU coach Jim Littell said it was a “gutsy win” for the Cowgirls, noting that four players played 39 of the 40 minutes. Oklahoma State has now won two straight conference games.
Oklahoma State led at halftime 29-28 on the strength of freshman guard Brittney Martin's 12 points. Martin, averaging nine points a game, was the sole offensive force for the Cowgirls, who shot 33 percent from the field in the first half and 50 percent in the second half.
Once again, Texas was a victim of poor shooting and turnovers. The Longhorns, who rank seventh in the 10-team conference in field-goal percentage on offense (40.2 percent), shot just 32 percent against the Cowgirls. Texas, which ranks last in offensive turnovers (20.2 per game), had 26 Sunday.
Coach Karen Aston said senior Cokie Reed has an “undisclosed medical condition” that prevented her from attending the game. Reed, who played 20 minutes in Wednesday's 53-49 loss at West Virginia, missed three games in December with a “minor head injury” but Texas officials declined to expand on Sunday's absence.
Top scorer Chassidy Fussell, who missed the West Virginia game to attend a funeral, has missed two other games with a “mild head injury.” Shooting guard Chelsea Bass's injury has also been described as a “mild head injury,” although she has not played since Nov. 30.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims