Share “No. 3 Stanford women lose first Pac-12...”

No. 3 Stanford women lose first Pac-12 game at UW

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 9, 2014 at 6:57 pm •  Published: February 9, 2014

SEATTLE (AP) — Stanford's Chiney Ogwumike scored 23 points and pulled down 14 rebounds against Washington, and it still felt like a disappointing day.

The Huskies shut down Ogwumike, the Pac-12's leading scorer, much of the time when it counted, and her teammates weren't able to help. Even though the Cardinal nearly rallied from 12 points down in the final seconds, No. 3 Stanford ended up with an unexpected 87-82 loss Sunday.

Washington bottled up Ogwumike much of the day, packing the paint and playing zone, daring Stanford's outside shooters to beat them. The Cardinal instead went 9 for 41 on 3-pointers.

"We've shot the ball extremely well this season, much better than last year, but today wasn't our day for shooting and it wasn't our day for defense, either," Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer said.

The loss snapped a 62-game road conference winning streak for Stanford (22-2, 11-1 Pac-12), as well as a 14-game run against Washington (13-10, 6-6). The Cardinal's last loss in road or neutral conference games was Jan. 18, 2009, against California in Berkeley. Stanford's only other loss this season came at No. 1 Connecticut.

Washington had five players score in double figures, led by freshman guard Kelsey Plum with 23.

"Just overall, I thought we were outplayed," VanDerveer said. "I hope this loss really helps us, I hope it gets our team's attention."

Washington led nearly the entire game and was up 85-73 with less than a minute to go when Stanford started a desperate rally.

Four straight missed free throws for Washington opened the door as Bonnie Samuelson hit a 3-pointer with 39 seconds to go to start the flurry and then another 3-pointer by Samuelson with 9 seconds left cut the lead to 85-81. The Huskies were called for a 5-second violation on the inbound, and with 7.8 seconds Ogwumike made one of two free throws to make it 85-82.

Stanford nearly pulled off another steal on the inbounds pass, but it turned into a tie-up and Washington had the possession arrow. This time, William pulled in a long pass and was fouled for the final free throws.

"It was a little too little, too late," Ogwumike said. "We were really motivated to play toward the end, but the first 38 minutes we were a little lackadaisical on offense."

Continue reading this story on the...