No. 6 Georgia women cruise past Mercer, 80-38
ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Georgia used its depth to get balanced scoring in another easy win.
Jasmine Hassell, Jasmine James and Erika Ford scored 12 points each as 11 players scored in the sixth-ranked Lady Bulldogs' 80-38 victory over Mercer on Tuesday night.
Georgia (10-0) is off to its best start since opening the 2009-10 season with 16 victories, and has won by an average of 27.3 points a game.
"I really like the way our team is playing right now," freshman guard Marjorie Butler said. "Nobody on the team is selfish and everybody is going out there and playing hard every game. That's hard for any team to play against us when you have nine and 10 people going out there every game and giving their all."
The Lady Bulldogs had 10 players log between 11 and 25 minutes against Mercer. For the season, nine players are averaging between 16 and 24 minutes.
"I think we've done a really good job thus far," James said. "Having five freshmen and then having the class (of seniors) that we have, we've done a really good job of jelling together."
Georgia struggled early against Mercer (4-3), even trailing four minutes into the game. But the Lady Bulldogs took control the end of the first half and then dominated the second half.
They led 34-21 at halftime before scoring the first nine points of the second half.
That started a 25-5 run that extended the Lady Bulldogs' advantage to 59-26 with 9:43 left in the game.
Georgia shot 59 percent from the field (20-of-34) in the second half and was 9 for 15 (60 percent) on 3-pointers.
"Georgia hit a lot of threes," said Mercer coach Susie Gardner, who played for Georgia coach Andy Landers from 1982-86. "I don't think that's necessarily their M.O., but they hit a lot of 3s on us, and they're bigger, quicker, stronger and faster than us. They're very, very good, and I think they'll go far in the NCAA tournament this year."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates