Norman briefs for June 6
Norman briefs for June 6, 2012
Norman intersection to close
Beginning at 11:30 p.m. Thursday, the intersection at W Lindsey Street and S Flood Avenue will be closed for a water main repair. This will include east and westbound traffic on W Lindsey and north and southbound traffic on Flood. Advance warning signs and recommended detour routes will be posted. The intersection should be reopened by 5 p.m. Friday, city officials said.
Bicycle League schedules benefit
The Bicycle League of Norman will host its 17th annual Norman Conquest bicycle tour July 17 to benefit the J.D. McCarty Center's Camp ClapHans scholarship fund. The Norman Conquest begins and ends at the J.D. McCarty Center, 2002 E Robinson St. Registration fee is $30 if the entry is postmarked by July 7. Otherwise, it is $35. To register online, go to www.active.com or pick up an entry form at any bicycle shop in the state to register by mail. A registration night will be from 5 to 9 p.m. July 13 at O'Connell's Irish Pub and Grill, 769 Asp Ave., or participants may register between 6 and 7:15 a.m. on the day of the event. For more information, call 307-2807.
Readers Extravaganza is Thursday
The Norman Public Library, 225 N Webster Ave., will celebrate the joy of reading with a Readers Extravaganza at 6 p.m. Thursday at the library. The event is geared toward adults and will feature a mini-book festival. The event will include book presentations, free book lists and bookmarks, refreshments and door prizes.
FROM STAFF REPORTS
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister