Norman chapter of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays to host regional conference June 30
The Norman chapter will host a regional conference June 30 at St. Stephen's United Methodist Church.
NORMAN — The Norman chapter of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, also known as PFLAG, will host an all-day, regional conference June 30 at St. Stephen's United Methodist Church, 1801 W Brooks St. Sign-in begins at 8:30 a.m.
Police Chief Keith Humphrey will open the conference, followed by a keynote address from civil rights scholar George Henderson. Henderson will speak on “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights are Civil Rights.”
Henderson has authored or co-authored 29 books and more than 70 articles about cultural diversity and civil rights. He has received numerous awards for his academic achievements and is now professor emeritus of human rights at the University of Oklahoma. He was inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 2003.
Following Henderson's speech, breakout sessions will be held on such topics as “Hate Crime and the Shepard-Byrd Act,” “Be the Change: Impacting Bullying” and “Telling Your Story Can Create Change.”
Other sessions will cover fundraising, information about the group's national organization, transgender health and confronting violence.
Cost for the conference is $20, or $30 for two persons registering together, or $10 for students. Lunch is included. Preregistration is preferred but not required.
To register, call 921-2348 or email email@example.com.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M