Norman hospital to sponsor public forum on school shootings
The Norman Regional Health System will sponsor a public forum at noon Friday on “Coping with Connecticut” to address such issues as talking to children about the shootings, where to seek help if needed and how to better understand such traumatic events.
NORMAN — The Norman Regional Health System will hold a community forum Friday on “Coping with Connecticut.”
Photoview all 196 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Dr. Farhan Jawed, medical director of the hospital's Behavioral Health Unit, will speak about the mass killings in Newport, Conn. Twenty-six people — 20 of them children — were killed Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The perpetrator, a lone gunman, committed suicide, and police said he killed his mother before his shooting rampage at the school.
The forum for hospital employees and the public will be from noon to 1 p.m. in the Education Center auditorium at Norman Regional Hospital, 901 N Porter Ave.
Jawed specializes in coping with and trying to understand traumatic events. He will address how to speak with children about the shooting, where to turn for help, signs to watch for and more. The forum will include a question-and-answer period.
For those unable to attend, the forum will be broadcast live at www.NormanRegional.com/stream.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction