High school football: Norman North hands Midwest City historic 66-27 loss
Norman North capitalizes on Bomber miscues, owns a 35-0 lead by the start of the second quarter
MIDWEST CITY — The Norman North first-teamers likely didn't need a shower before picking up their dates after Friday night's demolition of Midwest City.
Photoview all 38 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
North seemingly walked its way to five first-quarter touchdowns en route to a historic 66-27 Class 6A football win over a Bomber team that offered little resistance in the first half. Midwest City's proud football tradition took two punches to the jaw at Rose Field — the Bombers had a 37-game district win streak snapped, and the 66 points were the most any Midwest City team has allowed in history.
The 1973 Midwest City team surrendered 55 points to Tulsa Washington.
Norman North (3-1 overall, 1-0 district) scored on the first play from scrimmage on Jordan Evans' 63-yard touchdown run. Two more TD runs from Evans and touchdown passes from Peyton Gavras to Jake Higginbotham and Payton Prince rounded out a 35-0 first quarter. Running back Bryan Payne added a 20-yard touchdown run in the second quarter and Midwest City was staring at 0-4 and 0-1 records in the face before halftime.
Midwest City, off to its worst start to a season since 1998, looked demoralized early in the game. Botched snaps to the punter, fumbles and interceptions gave Norman North short fields.
The Bombers rallied a bit, ending the second quarter with touchdown runs from Kameron Martin and Qualan Johnson. But Norman North quickly answered with 24 straight points.
Johnson added a 20-yard TD run and a 60-yard run-and-catch for a touchdown late in the game against Norman North reserves.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims