Norman North's Brandon Little Axe is Boys All-City Soccer Player of the Year
Senior scored both the Timberwolves' goals in state title win over Tulsa Union.
NORMAN — Some athletes insist they don't read their press clippings.
But after Norman North won the Class 6A soccer state championship, senior Brandon Little Axe fully admits indulging himself in the media coverage.
Photoview all 28 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“I reread the articles several times,” he said with a laugh.
Little Axe scored both of Norman North's goals in a 2-1, overtime win over Tulsa Union in the title game and is The Oklahoman's All-City Boys Soccer Player of the Year.
Norman North finished the season ranked No. 1 by ESPN in its 2012 Powerade Fab 50 Boys' Soccer Spring Rankings, and Little Axe's performance this season was a huge part of the school's climb up the list.
Little Axe scored 22 goals this year for the unbeaten Timberwolves.
“He has a work rate that is second to none,” said Norman North coach Geo Claros. “That should never take away from how talented he is, but one thing I tell every kid I coach is that it's not hard to find a talented player.
“But you're nothing if you can't bring the work rate to put yourself in good spots, read the game and be willing to get into battles with other players. And those are all things he's willing to do and enjoys.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater