Norman North's Jordan Evans is Big All-City defensive player of the year
NORMAN — Wade Standley has seen few players be able to dominate a game defensively that way Jordan Evans can.
The Norman North coach has been around his share of defensive playmakers during his time at Tulsa Union, Liberal, Kan., and the last two years at Norman North.
Photoview all 26 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“He was a force in the game,” Standley said of Evans. “I've only seen a couple other guys who could just take over a game. R.W. McQuarters could do that. Rocky Calmus could do that. Jordan has that same type of ability.”
Evans helped the Timberwolves reach the Class 6A championship game, with 94 tackles and nine sacks.
Evans is The Oklahoman's Big All-City Defensive Player of the Year.
“We set the standards that hopefully Norman North will keep up for awhile,” Evans said of this year's Timberwolves. “It was great to be part of the team that brought that success here.”
Evans wasn't the top tackler on Norman North's defense.
That recognition went to fellow linebacker Jaxon Uhles with 163.
Evans wasn't the Timberwolves' biggest sack artist either.
That would be defensive end Evan Coles, who had 12.
But there was no doubt Evans was the biggest piece in Norman North's defense.
“Defensively, they just ran away from him all the time,” Standley said. “That was a huge part of our defense, though.
“We knew that he was going to take away one side of the field. That allowed us to do some different things defensively, know that they're going to either go away from him or he was going to make the plays on that side of the field.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims