Norman Storm ruins creations in custom cake shop
Tornado in Norman turns cake creations into messy debris.
NORMAN — Christie England's custom cake shop, Sugar, lost parts of its roof, both front windows and several one-of-a-kind creations late Friday afternoon after a tornado raked across downtown Norman.
Videoview all videos
Apr 14National Weather Service meteorologist Rick Smith talks...
Apr 13Video of the damage that occured to Andrews park during...
Apr 13Josh Henning talks about the Tornado damage in Norman.
Apr 13The Thunder and the Barons are both gearing up for...
Apr 13National Weather Service meteorologist Rick Smith talks...
Apr 13Showers and thunderstorms will be possible late this...
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
England was working in her shop with a couple of her employees when the twister struck her business, near Webster and Gray avenues. The area, including Andrews Park just to the north, was among the hardest hit in Norman. A shopping center across the street was littered with mangled steel, likely sections of roof that once covered nearby buildings.
“It actually happened pretty fast,” England said. “All of the glass pulled in, so we jumped in the walk-in. When we came out, we'd lost two front windows, a side window and we're just trying to save wedding cakes right now.”
After a quick survey of the battered interior of her usually neat and clean shop, England detailed her losses heading into the weekend — her busiest time of the week.
“This whole wall was actually full of wedding cakes and we had a few birthday cakes that were actually finished,” she said. “Everything, all together, it's at least $3,000.”
Josh Henning, an employee at Sugar, played the role of hero when the tornado touched down near the business, which is across the street from the Norman Public Library.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater