Norman to sponsor masonry repair workshops
The city's Norman Historic District Commission will sponsor workshops on Nov. 17-18 on how to repair masonry on historic buildings.
NORMAN — Two masonry preservation workshops are scheduled for Nov. 17-18, sponsored by the Norman Historic District Commission.
IF YOU GO
Reservations for the hands-on workshop sessions will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, call 366-5392 or email susan.
The workshops will be led by historic preservation expert Bob Yapp. He will lead participants in the art and science of repairing deteriorated brick and mortar at demonstration buildings in downtown Norman.
Workshops will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Registration is required. A $15 workshop fee includes lunch.
Registration is limited to 12 participants per session, but observers are welcome if space allows.
Workshop participants will use Yapp's techniques to repair brick walls on two buildings in the 300 block of E Main, said Neil Robinson, chairman of the Norman Historic District Commission.
Each session will begin with a talk on masonry tools, materials and techniques, after which students will learn how to mix mortar, remove damaged material and repoint mortar.
Yapp operates the Belvedere School for Historic Preservation Trades and Technology in Hannibal, Mo.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15155OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10481Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 7111Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6362Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6344Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5951Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4162As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in