Class 2A girls basketball: Northeast's T'ona Edwards has team back in state tournament
After suffering a tearful loss in the championship game last season, Edwards and the Vikings are back.
The only time T'ona Edwards has ever cried after a basketball game was following Northeast's 38-36 loss to Fairview in last year's Class 2A state championship game.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Northeast seemingly was in command when Fairview went on a 10-1 scoring run to close out the game. Northeast didn't score a basket in the final five minutes.
“I felt like at the end of the game I let my team down,” Edwards said.
It was a tearful Northeast locker room after the game, she said.
“I was crushed,” Edwards said. “It was the most emotional I have been and the worst feeling I have ever felt in basketball. That's the worse way to lose.”
Edwards has led the Lady Vikings back in the Class 2A state tournament this season. A four-year starter for Northeast, the 5-foot-5 guard leads the team in scoring, averaging 17 points per game.
Northeast coach Londaryl Perry said Edwards will play at the next level. She is getting attention from several schools, including the University of Oklahoma and Oral Roberts University, he said.
“She is truly a natural athlete but what makes her so good, honestly, is her ability to see,” Perry said. “She can see a play happening before it happens. She has a knack for it.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister