Notre Dame in the big bowl is healthy for college football
College football needs Notre Dame the way baseball needs the Yankees and the NBA needs the Lakers.
Videoview all videos
Dec 28Bowl game picks from Berry Tramel and Jenni Carlson:...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Notre Dame limping along Sunset Boulevard, scratching to find a glimmer of its former glory, has been a blessing for those who long have resented the Irish, either for their monumental victories (over OU, for example) or their special treatment (specific BCS rules), their own NBC contract or their Lindsay Nelson replay show from 50 years ago.
But enough is enough. The Irish have paid their penance. In the 11 seasons before Brian Kelly's 2010 arrival, Notre Dame had only five winning seasons.
Tough academic standards. A coaching carousel. A general shift in college football dominance to the South. Societal changes that tradition matter little to most recruits. Lots of reasons to wonder if Notre Dame could get back to relevancy.
The Irish haven't finished in the coaches-poll top 10 since 1993 and had reached a BCS-level bowl only thrice since the 1995 season.
But now Notre Dame is in the Big Bowl. Hard to imagine anything better for the health of college football, unless it's a Big Bowl victory.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21533Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17671Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12448Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9610Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9529Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9416Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8233Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense