Notre Dame to hold out 5th player in investigation

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 28, 2014 at 6:41 pm •  Published: August 28, 2014
Advertisement
;

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Notre Dame added reserve safety Eilar Hardy to the list of four Irish players being withheld from practice and games as the university completed its investigation into whether they may have turned in homework and papers completed by others.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said during a news conference Thursday that Hardy was not at practice. He played in 10 games last season, starting against Pittsburgh and BYU, and finished with 26 tackles. He did not play as a freshman or sophomore.

Kelly said he was pleased that the university's investigation into possible cheating had been closed.

"For our football team, we feel like this brings a big part of closure for us. So now we can really just focus the next 48 hours on preparation for Rice," he said. "You never want to hear about a young man pulled from practice and competition. But I think we've talked about this. There's accountability and responsibility. That will ensue here over the next week or so."

The university announced on Aug. 15 that it would withhold starting cornerback KeiVarae Russell, leading returning receiver DaVaris Daniels, defensive end Ishaq Williams and backup linebacker Kendall Moore during the investigation.

The Rev. John Jenkins, the university president, said at a news conference that suspicion about the players was initially detected at the end of the summer session and the case was referred to the compliance office on July 29.

Continue reading this story on the...


Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    CDC: U.S. has first confirmed case of Ebola in Dallas
  2. 2
    Netflix to shake up movies with 'Crouching Tiger 2'
  3. 3
    Donald Trump Tricked Into Retweeting Serial Killer Pic
  4. 4
    'Transparent' on Amazon Prime, reviewed: It’s the fall’s best new show.
  5. 5
    Brits Unwittingly Give Up Firstborns for Free WiFi
+ show more