November federal trial set in NY 'Silk Road' case

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 7, 2014 at 2:23 pm •  Published: February 7, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) — The Internet entrepreneur accused of being the mastermind behind an online marketplace for illegal drug sales called the Silk Road was scheduled Friday to go on trial in November.

U.S. District Judge Katherine Forrest set the Nov. 3 date as 29-year-old Ross William Ulbricht pleaded not guilty to four charges in a rewritten indictment returned earlier this week.

He was accused of drug trafficking, computer hacking, money laundering and running a continuing criminal conspiracy for his role in operating the black market site.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Serrin Turner said the government may bring additional charges before trial, and Forrest told him to file any superseding indictment by March 31. He said the government would present its "voluminous" evidence to a jury in less than a month once the trial begins.

Prosecutors say Ulbricht went by the online handle the Dread Pirate Roberts, an apparent reference to a character in "The Princess Bride," and turned the underground site into a place where anonymous users could buy or sell contraband and illegal services.

Continue reading this story on the...