Share “Nuggets hang on to beat Mavs 102-100”

Nuggets hang on to beat Mavs 102-100

Published on NewsOK Modified: November 24, 2013 at 12:01 am •  Published: November 24, 2013

DENVER (AP) — Randy Foye made a go-ahead 3-pointer in the waning moments and then helped it stand with his last-second defense.

Foye connected on his fifth 3-pointer of the game with 1:11 left, and the Denver Nuggets hung on to beat the Dallas Mavericks 102-100 on Saturday night.

"It was huge," Foye said. "I work extremely hard on my shot, so 5 for 12, 1 for 12, it doesn't matter, just got to continue to shoot the ball with confidence."

Ty Lawson scored 20 points to lead the Nuggets, who won their fifth straight at home while ending Dallas' four-game winning streak. Kenneth Faried had 18 points and 14 rebounds, and Foye finished with 17 points.

Dirk Nowitzki had 27 points but, with Foye contesting it, missed a shot at the end that would have sent the game into overtime.

"When I saw him with the ball, I thought, 'I know he's going to hit me and I know he's going to fadeaway,'" Foye said. "I have no chance to block the shot, so don't let him get comfortable. When he bumped me a little bit, I nudged him back."

Nowitzki's shot ended up hitting off the rim.

"We ran a good play," Nowitzki said. "I thought Vince (Carter) was halfway open, decided not to shoot. Then we ran a little pick and roll and the clock was going down and I had to heave one. It was still a decent look to tie it, but it just didn't go in.

"I've got to be a little better down the stretch. I missed my last two or three shots."

Monta Ellis added 25 points and Carter had 16 for the Mavericks, who were without coach Rick Carlisle for most of the game after he drew two technical fouls in succession and was ejected by referee Tony Brothers with 5:14 remaining in the second quarter.

Carlisle was initially upset that officials didn't send Nowitzki to the free throw line, ruling the Mavericks forward was in the act of passing, not shooting, when he was fouled by Wilson Chandler.

Moments later, Ellis took a hard foul from Foye and was sent to the line, but Carlisle apparently was upset the foul wasn't considered flagrant and let Brothers know it, leading to his ejection.

"I thought the foul was excessive," Carlisle said. "I thought he fouled him and he came down on him extra hard. I'm going to stand up for my players."

Assistant coach Monte Mathis took over on the bench for Carlisle.

Continue reading this story on the...