NEW YORK (AP) — An admitted al-Qaida recruit testified Wednesday that he and two friends were determined to "weaken America" by strapping on suicide bombs and attacking New York City subways around the eighth anniversary of 9/11, but now hopes for redemption.
"I believe my crimes are very bad," Najibullah Zazi said on cross-examination. "If God gave me a second chance, I would appreciate it and will be a very good human being."
Earlier, Zazi told a federal jury at his alleged accomplice's trial that he slipped detonator ingredients into the city on Sept. 10, 2009, after the chemicals extracted from beauty supplies passed a test run.
Using code words, he then frantically emailed one of his al-Qaida handlers to get the exact formula for building homemade bombs to go with detonators.
"The marriage is ready," Zazi wrote — signaling that he and two of his radicalized former high school classmates from Queens were ready to die as martyrs.
Zazi said the plot _ financed in part by $50,000 in credit card charges he never intended by to pay back — was abandoned after he noticed that everywhere he drove in New York, a car followed.
"I think law enforcement is on us," he recalled telling one of his co-conspirators, Zarein Ahmedzay. Later, he said he told the third man, Adis Medunjanin, in a text message, "We are done."
The 26-year-old Zazi testified for a second day at the trial of Medunjanin in federal court in Brooklyn. He was to return to the witness stand on Thursday for more cross-examination.
Prosecutors say that Zazi, Medunjanin and Ahmedzay — after growing upset over the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan and receiving terror training at an al-Qaida compound in Pakistan — together hatched what authorities have described as one of the most serious terror plots since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
Medunjanin, 27, a Bosnian-born naturalized U.S. citizen, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, providing material support to a terrorist organization and other charges.
Medunjanin has denied he was ever part of an al-Qaida operation. His lawyers have sought to show that — unlike Zazi and Ahmedzay — he had no direct involvement in the efforts to assemble bombs.
Zazi and Ahmedzay, both of Afghan descent, pleaded guilty in 2010 and were jailed without bail after agreeing to become government witnesses in a bid for leniency. Ahmedzay testified earlier this week.
Zazi recounted how, after leaving their Queens neighborhood for Pakistan in 2008, the three Muslim men met a top al-Qaida operative they knew only as Hamad. Authorities say Hamad was Adnan Shukrijumah, a Saudi listed on an FBI website as a fugitive who plotted attacks for al-Qaida worldwide.
Hamad told the three that they were best suited for an operation on U.S. soil. He also mulled over potential targets with them, including the New York Stock Exchange, Times Square and an unspecified Walmart store, Zazi said.
Continue reading this story on the...