NYC teachers' fund pledges $1 billion in Sandy aid
Donovan, a key figure on President Barack Obama's long-term Sandy recovery effort, said he hoped the commitment of the Teachers Retirement System will "inspire and encourage" others.
"This infusion of private capital is like seed money that will allow us to address not only the recovery from Sandy but also the underlying infrastructure challenges that our communities face," he said.
The Teachers Retirement System manages assets of about $46 billion for 110,000 current members and 80,000 retirees.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley