NY's Bellevue resumes nonemergency walk-in service
NEW YORK (AP) — Bellevue Hospital Center in New York City has reopened its nonemergency walk-in services after suffering what officials called "devastating damage" from Superstorm Sandy.
But hospital officials announced Monday that full services at the East Side facility won't resume until February.
Starting Monday, Bellevue also will offer limited adult and pediatric outpatient primary care clinics and routine OB-GYN services. Limited emergency care services are expected by mid-December.
City Health and Hospitals Corp. President Alan Aviles says it's the first time in 275 years the hospital was forced to stop operations.
About 700 patients had to be evacuated from Bellevue when all but one of the hospital's generators failed.
Bellevue is one of four New York hospitals closed to inpatients three weeks after the storm hit the city last month.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction