Obama: ‘Geithner is going to go down as one of our finest’
President Obama praised outgoing Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner this afternoon, during a press conference to announce his chief of staff Jack Lew as Geithner's successor.
Obama praised Geithner for helping rescue the “wreckage of our economy still smoldering and unstable” from the economic crisis in 2008 and for saving the auto industry, creating new jobs and raising taxes on the rich.
“When the history books are written, Tim Geithner is going to go down as one of our finest Secretaries of the Treasury,” Obama said proudly as the audience applauded.
Obama added that the “unofficial” saying at the Treasury was “no peacocks, no jerks, no whiners.”
“Few embody that ideal better than Tim Geithner,” Obama added.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater