Obama talks of resuming White House tours for kids
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is opening the door to the possibility of a resumption of White House tours for student groups amid some confusion over who made the ultimate decision to cancel them.
The decision has been much criticized by Republicans who say it should remain open to the public and some expectant visitors who were planning to see inside the White House during the spring break travel season.
Obama says in an interview with ABC News aired Wednesday that the decision to cancel the tours in the wake of budget cuts was made by the Secret Service, citing the need to furlough some employees. "This was not a decision that went up to the White House," Obama said.
That seemed to contradict his spokesman, Jay Carney, who said last week that the Secret Service presented the White House with options for cuts including canceling tours or furloughing staff, and the White House decided to suspend tours to allow the Secret Service to focus on its core mission.
Asked to clarify the confusion Wednesday, Carney said the White House had agreed with the Secret Service's evaluation that canceling the tours was the least-bad option.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister