Share “Ohio kidnapper says police missed chance...”

Ohio kidnapper says police missed chance in 2004

Published on NewsOK Modified: September 6, 2013 at 10:39 pm •  Published: September 6, 2013
Advertisement

Castro committed suicide using a bedsheet despite his placement in protective custody, which involves checks every 30 minutes. He had been taken off suicide watch while in county jail.

The state has launched two probes related to Castro, Ohio prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said. One looks into the suicide, and the other examines whether Castro received proper medical and mental health care leading up to his death.

A spokeswoman for the city of Cleveland and its police department said Castro's case records are being reviewed to determine what will be made public under Ohio law. Maureen Harper said the city isn't the source of the video that aired Friday.

Through a spokesman, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty also denied having released the recording. The FBI's Cleveland division spokeswoman said the office did not release the video.

Authorities speculated Castro's defense team released the tape. Attorney Jaye M. Schlachet on Friday declined to comment on the matter.

Representatives of the victims did not respond to messages seeking comment Friday.

Castro was sentenced Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years after pleading guilty to 937 counts, including kidnapping and rape, in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Castro's captives disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They were rescued from Castro's house May 6 when Berry broke through a screen door and called 911.

Investigators said the women were bound, repeatedly raped and deprived of food and bathroom facilities.

The dispatcher who took Berry's call was disciplined Friday for failing to stay on the line with her until police arrived.

___

Associated Press writers Andrew Welsh-Huggins and Julie Carr Smyth contributed to this report.

___

Regina Garcia Cano can be reached on Twitter at https://twitter.com/reginagarciakNO.