Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ohio state of mind
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, right, and Missouri coach Gary Pinkel are both from Ohio. Stoops is from Youngstown, while Pinkel is from Akron. by STEVE SISNEY, THE OKLAHOMANFive of the BCS' top 10 teams are led by Ohio-bred coaches. All five come from the Rust Belt area surrounding Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and two more come from the same area, just across state lines. Ohio State's Jim Tressel is from the Cleveland suburb of Berea. LSU's Les Miles is from the Cleveland suburb of Elyria. Florida's Urban Meyer comes from Ashtabula, which is east of Cleveland up Lake Erie. Youngstown is close to all those ports: 50 miles from Akron, 57 miles from Ashtabula, 73 miles from Berea, 87 miles from Elyria. Youngstown is even closer to New Castle, Pa., home of Kansas coach Mark Mangino. And not too far away is Farmington, W.Va., home of West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez and 98 miles south of Pittsburgh. What in the name of Friday Night Lights is going on? "I don't know what to say, other than it's awfully important up there,” Stoops said this week of football in Ohio in general and the Rust Belt in particular.
Ohio state of mind
Coaches from five of the BCS' top 10 teams hail from the Buckeye State
Ohio's contribution of great coaches to American football is well documented. But this is getting ridiculous.Youngstown's Bob Stoops squares off with Akron's Gary Pinkel in the Big 12 title game Saturday night in San Antonio, but Ohio's imprint on 2007 college football goes far deeper.
Videoview all videos
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, right, and Missouri coach Gary Pinkel are both from Ohio. Stoops is from Youngstown, while Pinkel is from Akron. by STEVE SISNEY, THE OKLAHOMAN
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister