Okarche church celebrates anniversary
Light Your World Church, a nondenominational church in Okarche, plans to celebrate its anniversary on Sunday.
OKARCHE — Sunday marks the anniversary of a church with a goal of shining light in the midst of darkness.
The Rev. Kurtis Ivey, senior pastor of Light Your World Church, said the congregation's anniversary celebration will include a special guest speaker and a meal.
NewsOK Related Articles
It's really all about the message that we preach here which is that we are about lighting up the world.”
The Rev. Kurtis Ivey,
Ivey, 40, said the church began in September 2011 after he and his wife, Kit, felt a calling from the Lord to lead and minister to a congregation. He said he and his wife have traveled together as an evangelistic team (He preaches and she leads worship) for several years as part of World Witness Ministries, an evangelistic ministry he founded several years ago. Ivey said the couple has a weekly television show on KAUT 43 called “Growing Together.”
He said he is from Hammon, and Kit Ivey is originally from Minnesota. Kurtis Ivey said they met when they were both part of an evangelistic outreach at a Kingfisher church.
Ivey said the Rev. Frank Cargill, superintendent of the Oklahoma District Council of the Assemblies of God, was instrumental in the couple getting the Light Your World Church building at 4550 Northwest Expressway donated to their congregation.
“That was kind of one of the signs that the Lord wanted us to be here,” Ivey said.
Cargill, he said, will be special guest preacher at Sunday's anniversary service.
Ivey said the congregation completed extensive renovations to the building which had formerly housed another church.
Light Your World has had about 1,000 people walk through its doors during its first year, Ivey said. He said the church's average Sunday attendance is about 115, with many regular attendees coming from cities like El Reno, Kingfisher, Yukon and Piedmont for the church's contemporary service.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 78259Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30507Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 26600Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26566Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7397Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7041Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6928Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond