OKC Barons: Charlotte Checkers snap Barons' seven-game winning streak
The Barons fell 3-1 Friday night to the Charlotte Checkers, who lead the American Hockey League's Midwest Division.
The Oklahoma City Barons finally lost a game.
After a franchise-record seven-game winning streak, the West Division leading Barons lost 3-1 Friday night to the Midwest Division leading Charlotte Checkers.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Checkers, playing their first game in a week, scored a goal in every period and led from start to finish over a Barons' squad that was playing their second game in as many nights.
“They definitely looked like they were the fresher team,” Barons' coach Todd Nelson said. “I didn't think the guys had a lot of juice in their legs tonight. I think it came down to just one team that was more rested than our team.”
Charlotte grabbed its third win in four games at the Cox Convention Center this season. The Barons are now 2-3-0-1 against a team they may face in the playoffs.
Oklahoma City plays the Checkers twice more this season. Both games are in Charlotte.
“They always play us tough,” Nelson said. “They are a good hockey team. They are second in our conference in points. We know going in against that hockey team we are going to have to play an excellent game. Tonight we were average and average doesn't cut it against a team like Charlotte.”
Nelson called the loss a reality check for the Barons.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims