OKC Barons have hit their stride
OKC takes a five-game winning streak into a two-game set at Houston.
Edmonton general manager Steve Tambellini said it might take some time for the Oilers' young stars to mesh with members of last year's Oklahoma City Barons team that reached the AHL Western Conference finals.
Barons at Houston
When: 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday.
Where: Toyota Center, Houston
Radio: KXXY-FM 96.1
Scouting report: Houston won just two of 12 regular-season and playoff meetings last season against the Barons, but the Aeros already have won two of the first three meetings this year, all in Oklahoma City. Both teams are hot. The Barons have won five consecutive games, the Aeros four of their last five. OKC (24 points) is fourth in the Western Conference. Houston (21 points) is sixth. ... Barons rookie defenseman Justin Schultz continues to lead the AHL in scoring (28 points). Jordan Eberle (26) is second. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (20) is fifth. ... Houston is led by Justin Fontaine (17 points). ... The Barons' power play (23.1 percent) is fourth in the league, Houston's is fifth (22.7).
The new-look Barons are meshing.
The hottest team in the AHL continues a seven-game road trip Thursday and Friday in Houston. Oklahoma City is riding a five-game winning streak and is 6-0-1 its last seven games.
“We're starting to put some pieces together,” said forward Jordan Eberle. “We're playing better as a team, playing better in the (defensive) zone. We're not giving up as many chances. And our goaltending has been good. There are a lot of things clicking.”
The Barons last weekend outscored South Division leader Charlotte 11-4 in a two-game sweep. Coach Todd Nelson said the team's confidence began growing with a win in Abbotsford, B.C., three weeks ago.
“The biggest thing I've noticed is we got our swagger back,” Nelson said. “It was very evident in the locker room (Tuesday) after practice. Guys are having fun, joking around with each other, feeling confident, feeling good about themselves.”
Forward Taylor Hall, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NHL Draft, is the reigning AHL Player of the Week. In three OKC wins last week Hall recorded nine points, including eight assists.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M