Share “OKC Barons: Taylor Fedun's overtime goal...”

OKC Barons: Taylor Fedun's overtime goal leads Barons to 3-2 victory over Utica

Oklahoma City's homestand continues at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday against the Charlotte Checkers.
BY MIKE BALDWIN, Staff Writer, Published: January 9, 2014

Oklahoma City Barons general manager Bill Scott bounced down the steps while leaving press row.

“Just the way we drew it up,” Scott announced.

Scott was being sarcastic after the Barons stole an American Hockey League win Thursday night at the Cox Convention Center.

The Barons tied Utica with four seconds left in regulation then won it 3-2 on Taylor Fedun's goal 17 seconds into overtime.

“I think there definitely was some help from up above on that one,” Fedun said. “After my initial shot it I was just trying to get a handle on it to tip it past (Utica goalie Joe Cannata). It took a miraculous bounce between the defenseman's legs.”

OKC coach Todd Nelson pulled goaltender Richard Bachman with just over a minute left in regulation for an extra attacker. Essentially down to their final shot, the Barons tied it on Curtis Hamilton's goal with four seconds left.

“Earlier in the season we've had some breaks go against us, but tonight we had some breaks go our way,” Nelson said. “They're supposed to all even out by the end of the year. Tonight, the hockey gods were in our favor.”

Fedun was OKC's only defenseman on the ice to start overtime, but the Princeton graduate attacked the play as if he were a forward. Fedun fired a shot at Cannata, corralled the rebound and fired again.

“I was looking to pass the entire time, but there was a little bit of room,” Fedun said. “I just threw it on net and got a very lucky bounce. I was able to get it (back) from between the guy's legs, then get it up and over the goalie. A huge break helped us get a huge win.”

Utica, the Vancouver Canucks' Triple-A affiliate, is last in the Western Conference, but the Comets (11-18-4) were in control much of the game.

Continue reading this story on the...