OKC RedHawks beat Memphis 11-10 in 10 innings
In a wild back-and-forth late-night affair, Oklahoma City beat Memphis 11-10 in 10 innings on Tuesday night, capped by a Fernando Martinez two-run walk-off homer.
NewsOK Related Articles
IT WAS OVER WHEN …
The ball left Fernando Martinez's bat. Oklahoma City's star outfielder drilled a no-doubt rocket over the right-field wall, erasing a 10-9 deficit and turning it into the RedHawks' first extra-inning win this season. Martinez is now hitting .327 with nine homers and 45 RBIs this year.
In a never-ending game that featured 11 pitchers and six lead changes, the teams combined for 21 runs, 31 hits and 16 walks. Throughout the middle innings, it was crawling along. But the late-game fireworks followed by the postgame fireworks made it all worth it for the RedHawks.
OKC STAR OF THE GAME — The Oklahoma City crowd
Packed into Bricktown for an Independence Day celebration and postgame fireworks, the RedHawks' fans endured a long and sloppy game, eventually culminating in a win for the home team. But 10,294 fans, the largest crowd this season for Oklahoma City, were loud throughout and stayed long after the extended slugfest to see the pyrotechnics.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction