OKC RedHawks: Bullpen comes through Sunday night as Hawks win
A day after Oklahoma City pitchers were busted for 20 runs, they limit Memphis to just two.
The RedHawks evened their series with Memphis on Sunday night, beating the Redbirds 6-2 in front of 4,098 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
NewsOK Related Articles
Brandon Barnes led off the first inning with a walk, Jimmy Paredes followed with a single and Fernando Martinez drove them both in with a triple. Three batters later, Marwin Gonzalez capped the RedHawks' four-run first with a home run. And on this night, that was plenty, with OKC's pitching staff backing up that early spurt off former Oklahoma State lefty and current Memphis starter Tyler Lyons.
It was over when …
RedHawks reliever Hector Ambriz induced Zack Cox into a game-ending groundout. With the way OKC's bullpen has been going lately, and Saturday night's 20-run debacle fresh on everyone's mind, not even a four-run ninth-inning lead felt safe. And after the first two Redbirds reached, there was some audible unrest. But Ambriz got a double play, followed by the final groundout to close out a needed win.
OKC star of the game — Armando Galarraga
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates