OKC RedHawks: Mike Hessman hits three homers in Hawks' 6-5 win over Iowa Cubs
First-place Oklahoma City continues the series vs. the Cubs at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday at The Brick.
RedHawks 6, Iowa 5
The RedHawks pushed their home winning streak to 11 consecutive games with Sunday night's 6-5 victory over Iowa in the second game of a four-game Pacific Coast League set against the Cubs.
Oklahoma City (34-23) also is now 11 games over .500 for the first time this season.
STAR OF THE GAME
RedHawks first baseman Mike Hessman cracked three home runs in the game, all solo shots, and was 4-for-4 in the game. Hessman's third of the game in the seventh was a long, two-out blast on a 3-2 pitch that sailed over the left field wall and proved to be the game-winner.
Iowa had scored twice in the top of the seventh to tie the game 5-5.
Hessman hit two homers off Iowa starter, left-hander Brooks Raley, and the game-winner off reliever Jeff Beliveau, also a lefty.
The right-handed hitting Hessman has 13 home runs on the season and 342 in his minor league career, the most of any active player.
He is just the fifth player to have a three-homer game since Oklahoma City became the RedHawks in 1998 and moved into what is now called Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims