OKC RedHawks: Mike Hessman homers twice, Hawks reach double digits for 15th time
Brett Wallace adds a homer and two doubles as Oklahoma City beats Iowa Cubs in Des Moines
DES MOINES, Iowa — Oklahoma City hit four home runs, including two more by Mike Hessman, and the RedHawks beat the Iowa Cubs 10-6 Wednesday night in Pacific Coast League baseball at Principal Park. The win improved the RedHawks' record to 45-34 and into a first-place tie with Albuquerque, which lost 3-2 Wednesday night to Memphis.
Brett Wallace had a team-best four hits for Oklahoma City, including two doubles and his 13th homer of the season. Landon Powell had a solo homer, his sixth overall. But Hessman continued a trek toward the franchise's single-season record for homers, hitting his 22nd and 23rd, and finished with three RBIs. With the second half of the season remaining, Hessman needs 15 home runs to tie Dave Roberts, who slugged 38 in 1965 for the 89ers.
The four homers Wednesday night gave Oklahoma City 93 for the season. Last summer, the RedHawks finished with 88 total.
The RedHawks never trailed against Iowa, although the Cubs recovered from 4-0 and 5-4 deficits in front of 6,417 fans. Oklahoma City put it away with five runs over the fifth and sixth innings. Hessman's two-run homer in the sixth inning put the RedHawks in double-digit scoring for the 15th time this season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister