OKC RedHawks shut out at home for second time this season
Iowa Cubs halt OKC's three-game winning streak in 5-0 victory.
The RedHawks surging offense was quieted and their three-game winning streak was halted, as Iowa blanked Oklahoma City 5-0 on Friday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. With the loss, OKC fell to 61-45 this season, but remains tied in first place with Albuquerque.
NewsOK Related Articles
Recently up from Double-A Corpus Christi, Jarred Cosart was cruising in his first Oklahoma City start since May. But with the game scoreless in the fourth, Cosart was hit around, giving up four hits and three runs in the frame. Adding insult to injury, Cosart was pulled in the same inning with an apparent hand injury. Early word is that it stemmed from blisters.
IT WAS OVER WHEN …
Iowa starter Chris Volstad arrived at the ballpark with lights out command. Volstad is an experienced major leaguer, but ran into some struggles with the Chicago Cubs this year, going 0-7 with a 7.94 ERA, earning a demotion. But that yearlong ineffectiveness was gone on Friday, as Volstad struck out five in eight scoreless innings. It was the best pitching performance at The Brick in a long time.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes