OKC schools to review dress code after kindergartner told to turn shirt inside out
A kindergarten student at Wilson Elementary School was asked to turn his shirt inside out because it violated the Oklahoma City Public Schools' dress code. It was a University of Michigan T-shirt.
Oklahoma City Public Schools officials will review the district dress code policy after a kindergartner was asked to turn his University of Michigan T-shirt inside out.
Videoview all videos
Aug 22School Administrator will review the dress code after...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kindergartner Cooper Barton, 5, turned his shirt inside out behind a tree on the playground after a teacher at Wilson Elementary noticed he was breaking the district dress code policy.
“If a child is not in compliance with the dress code, they are given two options: to turn their shirt inside out or to wear a Wilson Wise Wolves T-shirt that is available in the school office,” Principal Kirk Wilson said in a statement.
Wearing clothing that depicts athletic teams — except for Oklahoma colleges and universities — is against the district dress code, according to the district's 2012-13 student-parent handbook.
“As when any policy is questioned, OKCPS administration will review the policy to determine if changes need to be made,” Superintendent Karl Springer said in a statement.
Policy updated in 2005
The district dress code was last updated in 2005 in cooperation with the Oklahoma City Police Department Gang Task Force, Springer said.
The update was done as a response to national concerns about gangs using clothing from sports teams as membership identification.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 79546Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30543Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28179Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26729Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7711Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7142Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7088Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond