OKC Thunder fan makes halfcourt shot, wins $20,000 to battle wife's cancer
If you've ever stayed in your seats between quarters at a Thunder game (sometimes it is possible to resist the concourse's aroma of nachos and hot dogs), you've no doubt seen a Thunder fan attempt (and probably miss) a halfcourt shot.
It was a different story last night in Oklahoma City. Fan Heath Kufahl, the volleyball and boys basketball coach at Christian Heritage Academy in Del City, Okla., made the MidFirst halfcourt shot between the third and fourth quarters of the Thunder-Lakers matchup to win $20,000. It was the fourth fan halfcourt shot made in the Thunder's Oklahoma City history, and the first since 2011.
Videoview all videos
Mar 6Heath Kufahl makes a halfcourt shot at the Thunder-Lakers...
Photoview all photos
It's always cool to see someone make that shot, but for the Kufahls and their seven children, it means a bit more: Heath's wife, Jenni, was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer in October of 2012. The money will be used for mounting medical bills.
Last year we told you about Jenni's father, John Merrell, the football coach at Christian Heritage Academy, and what her fight against cancer has meant to their family.
We're quite sure there wasn't a better person to take that shot in Chesapeake Energy Arena last night. Nice work, Heath.
News Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 62337Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 33106Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31955Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 14420Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8241Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6093Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4001Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman