OKC Thunder: Former McGuinness star Daniel Orton used to being mistaken for Russell Westbrook
Former McGuinness standout Daniel Orton is back in his home state and vying for a backup center role. But apparently his face isn't THAT familiar in OKC, as he keeps getting mixed up for teammate Russell Westbrook.
Former Bishop McGuinness star Daniel Orton signed with the Thunder on Aug. 4 and is vying for a backup center role alongside Cole Aldrich and Hasheem Thabeet.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The 6-foot-10, 255-pound Orton appeared in 16 games (two starts) with the Orlando Magic last season and averaged 2.8 points, 2.5 rebounds and 11.7 minutes. The Magic selected Orton with the 29th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.
Orton spent one season at Kentucky and played behind fellow freshman DeMarcus Cousins, now with the Sacramento Kings.
How many people have said you look like Russell Westbrook?
“Too many. I get mistaken for him all the time, pumping gas or going to the grocery store. It gets to the point where I don't even explain, ‘I'm not who you think I am.' OK, I'll take a picture (with you).”
So people think Russell is 6-foot-10?
“I guess they just really don't know. Oh, well.”
This could be a magical scenario for you. You're back home and on a good team.
“As far as this being 'Magical,' [smiling] I wouldn't put it that way, but it's a true blessing to come into a situation (like this), especially being in the situation I was in last year (with uncertainty involving teammate Dwight Howard), which most of you know about and heard about. But to come into a situation like this, talking to other players and just chatting it up with them, you understand how special this place is as far as the way they handle things and the way they approach pretty much everything. The time and care they put into everything they do.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister