OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant scores 36 points as Thunder beats Grizzlies
Kevin Durant scored the final seven points of the game after Memphis had pulled even at 94.
Videoview all videos
Feb 4Kevin Durant scored the final seven points of the game,...
Feb 4Darnell Mayberry and Jenni Carlson examine the late-game...
Photoview all 24 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He broke the tie with a cold-blooded 3-pointer from the top of the key. Just like the commercial, it was right over the outstretched arms of a helpless defender, this time Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay. More impressively, Durant drilled it despite having missed all five of his previous attempts from long range.
“That 3, as I was shooting, it looked good,” Durant said. “But I was missing. So it was just a matter of time before one of those were going to go down for me.”
After a turnover by Conley, Durant extended the Thunder's lead to five on a beautiful, off-balance jumper. Starting at the top of the key, Durant crossed over to his right against Gay. He drove to the free throw line, stopped and got Gay to bite on a pump fake. When he did, flying by just enough to provide plenty of separation, Durant hit a fadeaway off one leg as the shot clock expired.
“Guys always bite when I give them a pump fake,” Durant said. “So I was able to get him off the ground a little bit and get me some space. I tried to shoot it good and it went in.”
It put the Thunder ahead 99-94 with 22.8 seconds remaining.
As if he hadn't done enough, Durant iced the game by rebounding a missed 3-pointer by Gay before sinking two free throws.
“When he gets it going like that, you just got to sit back and watch,” said James Harden. “He made every shot tonight at the end of the game. He led us to victory.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims