OKC Thunder notebook: Thunder focusing on transition defense
Coach Scott Brooks said team needs to change disturbing trend.
In the Thunder's preseason debut, Houston scored 18 fast-break points, with eight coming in the opening quarter.
Two nights later at Utah, the Jazz raced to 29 fast-break points, making a mockery of the Thunder's defense all night.
NewsOK Related Articles
“We didn't get back well in transition defense,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “Teams normally don't run on us because we can run it back on them. But the last two games they did a good job by really pushing the pace and getting easy layups.”
Brooks said that trend needs to change.
“The fundamental principles are you have to get back on the shot,” Brooks said. “And sometimes what we do is we watch. We watch and see if we're going to get the rebound, see if we're going to get the offensive rebound for a kick-out shot. Or we have perimeter players that attack the basket so it puts our floor balance weighted in the wrong direction. So those are things that we have to address.”
THABEET'S FOUL TROUBLE NO BIG DEAL
In each of the first two games, Hasheem Thabeet fouled out.
And it didn't take him more than 16 minutes in either contest — earning him a staggering rate of 19.2 fouls per 48 minutes.
Brooks, however, isn't concerned.
“Coach told me not to worry about the past two preseason games,” Thabeet said. “I had 12 fouls in two games and he told me not to worry just stay aggressive. Keep doing what I do, which is being physical on the post and control the paint.”
Brooks just said fouls are “part of it.”
“You have to be able to play through it,” Brooks said. “At this point, I just tell him don't worry about it. I'm not concerned about the six fouls. Just go out there and play aggressive but be smart. The fouls that he had last game, you can live with them. Eventually those are going to decrease as time goes by.”
THOMPSON TURNING HEADS
Hollis Thompson, the rookie guard fighting for the 15th and final roster spot, made his debut Friday at Utah and scored six points with three rebounds in 20 minutes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister