OKC Thunder: Scott Brooks named NBA Western Conference Coach of the Month
SCOTT BROOKS — Oklahoma City's 16-4 start has earned Western Conference Coach of the Month honors. Chicago's Tom Thibodeau earned Eastern Conference honors.
NEW YORK — Okahoma City's Scott Brooks has been named the NBA Western Conference Coach of the Month, the league announced Wednesday.
Brooks guided the Thunder to a Western Conference-leading 16-4 (.800) mark, tying the record for the third-best start in franchise history. Oklahoma City recorded seven straight wins between Jan. 6 and Jan. 16, including back-to-back-to wins over the Houston Rockets (Jan. 6 and 7) and San Antonio Spurs (Jan. 8).
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
The Thunder's 80 percent shooting from the free throw line leads the league, while its 100.4 points per game ranks third in the NBA.
The Chicago Bulls' Tom Thibodeau was Eastern Conference Coach of the Month. Thibodeau led the Bulls to an Eastern Conference-best 18-5 (.783) record to start the season, winning 13 of 18 games by 10 or more points. Chicago went 9-1 at home, including an 8-1 home record against Eastern Conference teams. The Bulls rank first in the NBA in rebounds per game (45.3) and allowed only 87.4 points per game in December and January, good for second best in the NBA.
Other nominees for Coach of the Month were Dallas' Rick Carlisle, Houston's Kevin McHale, Miami's Erik Spoelstra, Los Angeles Clippers' Vinny Del Negro and Philadelphia's Doug Collins.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena